While there are many courses and tutorials online, learning from a book is still one of the best ways to greatly improve your skills. Below I have selected top Tailoring books.
- 1. Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket (2011)
- 2. Classic Tailoring Techniques for Menswear: A Construction Guide (2015)
- 3. Simple Tailoring & Alterations: Hems – Waistbands – Seams – Sleeves – Pockets – Cuffs – Darts – Tucks – Fastenings – Necklines – Linings (2016)
- 4. Classic Tailoring Techniques (F.I.T. Collection) (1991)
- 5. Illustrated Guide to Sewing: Tailoring: A Complete Course on Making a Professional Suit (Design Originals) (2011)
- 6. THE TAILORING BIBLE – Learn how to make your own clothes, from A to Z!: Complete Course * Taught by an Italian master with 60 years of experience * Become a Fashion Designer / Become a Tailor (2018)
- 7. Essentials of Planning, Selecting, and Tailoring Interventions for Unique Learners (Essentials of Psychological Assessment) (2014)
- 8. Couture Sewing: Tailoring Techniques (2013)
- 9. Men’s Custom Tailored Coats (The Stanley Hostek Tailoring Book Series) (1970)
- 10. The Gentleman’s Wardrobe: Vintage-Style Projects to Make for the Modern Man (2017)
- 11. Jackets for Real People: Tailoring Made Easy (Sewing for Real People series) (2006)
- Related YouTube Video
Tailoring is the complete photo guide to sewing jackets and coats. Written by sewing professionals, this book teaches the trusted, proven methods for sewing tailored jackets with impeccable details and perfect fit. Written for the intermediate sewer who wants to move on to more challenging projects, this book ensures success with detailed, step-by-step instructions, more than 400 photos, in-depth discussions about products and how to use them. Tailoring offers guidance for every aspect of tailoring a jacket: fitting and pattern alteration, fabrics and…
Since its first publication, Classic Tailoring Techniques for Menswear has been the authoritative resource for custom hand tailoring production. This new edition focuses on updating these timeless construction techniques through extensive use of all new photography and digital illustrations to enhance the clarity of each process. The enduring art of tailoring and the nature of bespoke tailoring processes means that the techniques presented in the first edition remain as relevant for today’s designers as ever. The new edition is updated with information on measuring, alternative approached in use today and 748 all new photographs and…
3. Simple Tailoring & Alterations: Hems – Waistbands – Seams – Sleeves – Pockets – Cuffs – Darts – Tucks – Fastenings – Necklines – Linings (2016)
An insider’s secrets to tailoring and making alterations. Master the basics and more with Simple Tailoring & Alterations, a practical guide written by an accomplished costume maker and theatrical tailor. With over thirty years experience in the garment industry, J. Francois-Campbell knows every tailoring trick of the trade and shares them with you. A nip and a tuck for the perfect fit.Off-the-rack clothing rarely fits well because it was not made to your specific measurements. With the step-by-step instructions – plus 250 full-color photographs and 100 helpful illustrations – you can now make alterations that will save you big…
Forty years of tailoring experience – construction technique nowhere detailed in the available tailoring textbooks….
5. Illustrated Guide to Sewing: Tailoring: A Complete Course on Making a Professional Suit (Design Originals) (2011)
Learn to make a classically tailored suit that fits perfectly and will never go out of style with this step by step guide. From selecting the fabric to the final fit, readers will be guided through the entire process of making pants and jackets for men and women. The book includes over 200 color coded diagrams that clearly depict the construction process….
6. THE TAILORING BIBLE – Learn how to make your own clothes, from A to Z!: Complete Course * Taught by an Italian master with 60 years of experience * Become a Fashion Designer / Become a Tailor (2018)
If you ever dreamed of being a Fashion Designer, the time is now! Learn from the Master of Masters, who has over 60 years of experience, and it all started in Italy. Now, you can learn how to make your own… everything! From skirts to blouses; from pants to jackets; from bikinis to even a wedding dress! Step by step instructions, nothing is left uncovered here. Get your copy of “The Tailoring Bible” now!…
7. Essentials of Planning, Selecting, and Tailoring Interventions for Unique Learners (Essentials of Psychological Assessment) (2014)
This authoritative resource provides step-by-step procedures for planning, selecting, and tailoring interventions for at-risk learners with a unique focus on how to individualize interventions using actual case examples. In addition, this volume offers guidelines for gathering and interpreting data in a manner that assists in identifying targets for intervention and rich discussion and information relating to specific academic, cognitive, and behavioral manifestations of students with learning difficulties in reading, math, writing, and oral language. Practitioners will also…
8. Couture Sewing: Tailoring Techniques (2013)
Learn the tailoring techniques and sewing secrets of such renowned designers as Chanel, Dior, and Balenciaga. Couture Sewing: Tailoring Techniques is a complete sewing workshop packaged in a DVD and book ensemble. Get an insider’s view of the couture industry. Author and fashion expert Claire B. Shaeffer shares garment tailoring techniques, construction methods, and even short cuts used in the finest European ateliers of Paris, Rome and London. Lessons come alive in the 90-minute DVD. Shaeffer presents viewers with an in-depth tailoring workshop, demonstrating key techniques such as converting darts to ease, creating a…
Men’s Custom Tailored Coats includes step-by-step instructions from preparing the fabrics, obtaining the parts and utilizing hand, machine, and pressing skills to see the garment to completion. Includes a choice of 15 pockets and a section devoted to the fundamentals of fitting. A glossary of tailoring terms is also included….
For debonair gentlemen who eschew denim if favor of tweed, and feel that grooming and gallantry should not be consigned to history, this book will suit your needs. The Gentleman’s Wardrobe features a cornucopia of elegant garments and accessories to sew, this beautifully illustrated book is full of inspiration and charm. Including beautiful garments such as pajamas, vest, trousers and jacket, plus indispensable accessories such as a cravat tie, flat cap and wallet, there’s something for every fellow who’s looking to be urbane than urban. Whether you make these smart…
This new edition of a popular tailoring guide is double in size, adds color photography, and features new and speedier techniques that embrace fusible interfacing and an all-machine-sewn lining technique used in ready-to-wear. More than 700 photos and illustrations accompany instructions detailed enough to allow a beginner who has never taken a sewing class to glide through chapters on patterns and fabrics, proper cutting and marking, methods for pressing and seam finishing, and…
Best Tailoring Books to Read
We highly recommend you to buy all paper or e-books in a legal way, for example, on Amazon. But sometimes it might be a need to dig deeper beyond the shiny book cover. Before making a purchase, you can visit resources like Genesis and download some tailoring books mentioned below at your own risk. Once again, we do not host any illegal or copyrighted files, but simply give our visitors a choice and hope they will make a wise decision.
Case Formulation for Personality Disorders: Tailoring Psychotherapy to the Individual Client
Author(s): Ueli Kramer
ID: 2343345, Publisher: Academic Press, Year: 2019, Size: 5 Mb, Format: pdf
Tailoring of nanocomposite dielectrics: from fundamentals to devices and applications
Author(s): Toshikatsu Tanaka, Alun S. Vaughan
ID: 1629656, Publisher: Pan Stanford Publishing, Year: 2017, Size: 22 Mb, Format: pdf
Multicomponent Silicides for Thermoelectric Materials: Phase Stabilities, Synthesis, and Device Tailoring
Author(s): Jean-Claude Tedenac
ID: 1699688, Publisher: Springer International Publishing, Year: 2017, Size: 2 Mb, Format: pdf
Please note that this booklist is not final. Some books are truly hot items according to Washington Post, others are written by unknown writers. On top of that, you can always find additional tutorials and courses on Coursera, Udemy or edX, for example. Are there any other relevant books you could recommend? Drop a comment if you have any feedback on the list.