Our list of some of the best Science Fiction books & series in recent years. Get inspired by one or more of the following books.
- The Fifth Science (2019)
- The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fourth Annual Collection (2017)
- The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1: 1929-1964 (2005)
- The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction (2010)
- Seeker (2018)
- Winter World (The Long Winter) (2019)
- Omicron: Millennium: The first book in the Omicron Series (2019)
- The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2019 (The Best American Series ®) (2019)
- Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence (2016)
- Ready Player One: A Novel (2012)
The Fifth Science (2019)
The Galactic Human Empire was built atop four sciences: Standing on those pillars, humans spent 100,000 years spreading out into the galaxy: warring, exploring, partying — the usual. Then there was the fifth science. And that killed the empire stone dead. The Fifth Science is a collection of 12 stories, beginning at the start of the Galactic Human Empire and following right through to its final days.
The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fourth Annual Collection (2017)
In the new millennium, what secrets lay beyond the far reaches of the universe? What mysteries belie the truths we once held to be self evident? The world of science fiction has long been a porthole into the realities of tomorrow, blurring the line between life and art. Now, in The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Fourth Annual Collection, the very best SF authors explore ideas of a new world.
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1: 1929-1964 (2005)
The definitive collection of the best in science fiction stories between 1929-1964.This book contains twenty-six of the greatest science fiction stories ever written. They represent the considered verdict of the Science Fiction Writers of America, those who have shaped the genre and who know, more intimately than anyone else, what the criteria for excellence in the field should be.
The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction (2010)
The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction features over a 150 years’ worth of the best science fiction ever collected in a single volume. The fifty-two stories and critical introductions are organized chronologically as well as thematically for classroom use.
A breathtaking near-future thriller. From the NY Times bestselling author whose books have been downloaded over a million times. A small alien spacecraft with extraordinary secrets. And a mad scramble to get to it first. When an interstellar probe lands in the heart of the Amazon Jungle, powerful nations around the world will stop at nothing to retrieve it.
Winter World (The Long Winter) (2019)
* Longlisted for the 2019 Wilbur Smith Prize for best published novel. * In the near future, an ice age pushes humanity to the edge of extinction.Scientists search for the cause–and any hope of stopping the Long Winter. They send probes into the solar system to take readings. Near Mars, one of the probes makes a shocking discovery: a mysterious object, drifting toward the Sun. Is it the cause of the Long Winter?
Omicron: Millennium: The first book in the Omicron Series (2019)
The year is 3193and it has been over six hundred years since humans first traveled to the Omicron Quadrant. A lot has happened since their arrival. Alliances have been forged, wars have been waged. When Iris Porter first arrives in the quadrant and meets two bounty hunters – Captain Kansas Smith and Lieutenant Lewis Auznarr – nothing could have prepared her for what was in store.
The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2019 (The Best American Series ®) (2019)
This omnivorous selection of stories chosen by series editor John Joseph Adams and World Fantasy Award finalist Carmen Maria Machado is a display of the most boundary-pushing, genre-blurring, stylistically singular science fiction and fantasy stories published in the last year.
Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence (2016)
Featuring numerous updates and enhancements, Science Fiction and Philosophy, 2nd Edition, presents a collection of readings that utilize concepts developed from science fiction to explore a variety of classic and contemporary philosophical issues.
Ready Player One: A Novel (2012)
• A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize. Are you ready? In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the OASIS, a vast virtual world where most of humanity spends their days. When the eccentric creator of the OASIS dies, he leaves behind a series of fiendish puzzles, based on his obsession with the pop culture of decades past.
Best Science Fiction Books Reviewed & Ranked
We highly recommend you to buy all paper or e-books in a legal way, for example, on Amazon. But sometimes it might be a need to dig deeper beyond the shiny book cover. Before making a purchase, you can visit resources like Library Genesis and download some science fiction books mentioned below at your own risk. Once again, we do not host any illegal or copyrighted files, but simply give our visitors a choice and hope they will make a wise decision.
Passages through Enclosures and the Spacetime Continuum in English and American Science Fiction
Author(s): Iren Boyarkina
ID: 3261606, Publisher: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Year: 2022, Size: 4 Mb, Format: pdf
Plato’s Labyrinth: Dinosaurs, Ancient Greeks, and Time Travelers
Author(s): Michael Carroll
ID: 3180220, Publisher: Springer, Year: 2022, Size: 7 Mb, Format: pdf
Goliath as Gentle Giant: Sympathetic Portrayals in Popular Culture
Author(s): Jonathan L. Friedmann
ID: 3218058, Publisher: Lexington Books, Year: 2022, Size: 1 Mb, Format: pdf
Please note that this booklist is not errorless. Some books are really best-sellers according to Washington Post, others are written by unknown authors. On top of that, you can always find additional tutorials and courses on Coursera, Udemy or edX, for example. Are there any other relevant resources you could recommend? Leave a comment if you have any feedback on the list.