While there are many courses and tutorials online, learning from a book is still one of the best ways to greatly improve your skills. Below I have selected top Multicultural Picture books.
- 1. For the Right to Learn: Malala Yousafzai’s Story (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books) (2016)
- 2. ABC Adoption & Me (Revised and Reillustrated): A Multicultural Picture Book (2019)
- 3. Cinderella Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales (Multicultural Fairy Tales) (2014)
- 4. Multicultural Canada: A Beautiful Photography Coffee Table Photobook Travel Tour Guide Book with Photo Pictures of the Spectacular Country and its Cities within North America. (Picture Book) (2019)
- 5. Abuela (English Edition with Spanish Phrases) (Picture Puffins) (1997)
- 6. Families (2016)
- 7. A Picture Book of Cesar Chavez (Picture Book Biography) (2018)
- 8. Building Bridges with Multicultural Picture Books: For Children 3-5 (1996)
- 9. A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus (Picture Book Biography) (1991)
- 10. Sporty Lou – Picture Book: Soccer King (Multicultural Book Series for Kids 3-To-6-Years Old) (2017)
- Related YouTube Video
1. For the Right to Learn: Malala Yousafzai’s Story (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books) (2016)
She grew up in a world where women were supposed to be quiet. But Malala Yousafzai refused to be silent. Discover Malala’s story through this powerful narrative telling, and come to see how one brave girl named Malala changed the world….
The original version of this book launched in 2013. It earned many awards and adoptive families reported that it genuinely helped them explore and discuss adoption with their littles, in a way that kids felt supported and that also deepened their connection. This revised version reflects the latest in professional understanding of the complexity of adoption, the challenges of young adoptees, and the conversations and strategies that draw families together in support of one another. Wesley Blauvelt’s dreamy illustrations are evocative and compelling. ABC,…
Think there’s just one fairy tale with an overworked girl and wicked stepsisters? Think again! Cultures all around the world have their own Cinderella stories. Visit Canada, China, Egypt, and France, and find out whose glass slippers are made of red silk, and whose fairy godmother is a fish….
4. Multicultural Canada: A Beautiful Photography Coffee Table Photobook Travel Tour Guide Book with Photo Pictures of the Spectacular Country and its Cities within North America. (Picture Book) (2019)
One of the world’s most incredible countries, experience and take a journey through this Canada photo book and be transported to the much loved country in this spectacular photography Book which captures this exquisite country in all its grandeur.Perfect for all lovers of this country, this beautifully packaged stunning coffee table photobook showcases different amazing pictures of different cities, art, architecture and culture from Canada.Product details Take a journey through the world’s beautiful country, traveling from color to magnificent color with this beguiling book….
Come join Rosalba and her grandmother, her abuela, on a magical journey as they fly over the streets, sights, and people of New York City which sparkles below. The story is narrated in English, and sprinkled with Spanish phrases as Abuela points out places that they explore together. The exhilaration in Rosalba’s and Abuela’s story is magnified by the loving bond that only a grandmother and granddaughter can share. “A book to set any child dreaming…any reader can handle it, whether familiar with Spanish or not. It’s just joyful.”-The New York Times * “A…
6. Families (2016)
Celebrate diversity with this picture book for very young children about the many faces of contemporary families. Bright photographs by National Geographic photographer Shelley Rotner capture families having fun together, enjoying all the ways they are similar and different. Some families have one parent, and some have two; some have aunts and uncles and grandparents living with them. Some have adopted children, some have children born to them. Whether they live all together or far apart, families love and care for each other. Designed to showcase…
This clear and concise biography with folksy illustrations details the amazing life of American labor leader and civil rights activist Cesar Chavez. As a child in California during the Great Depression, Cesar picked produce with his family to make ends meet. The work was backbreaking, the pay was low, and many families, including his, were homeless. But to Cesar, dignity always meant more than money. He grew up and dedicated his life to helping American farmworkers, arguing for better pay and fair working conditions. He was even jailed for his efforts. But he never stopped urging…
Useful for any educator or parent who wishes to learn a means for using picture books as an educational tool and how to bring the characters in those books “to life.”…
Born in Genoa, Italy, in 1451, Christopher Columbus dreamed of going to sea. He knew the earth was round, and planned a voyage west into the unknown waters of the Atlantic to reach the Indies. But it wasn’t until he was 41 years old that Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain gave him the funds, the three ships, and the men to make a voyage. Even though Columbus never reached the Indies, he made a more important discovery. On October 12, 1492, he landed on an island southeast of Florida. Since he thought he had reached the Indies, he called the natives “Indians”. Columbus made three more voyages and is…
10. Sporty Lou – Picture Book: Soccer King (Multicultural Book Series for Kids 3-To-6-Years Old) (2017)
* Multicultural Children's Books by Quentin Holmes * Easy-to-read, empowering and entertaining stories for young children (3-to-6-years old) * Picture Books & Coloring Books * Available in hardcover, softcover, & eBook Sporty Lou is a spunky determined kid with a big heart and bigger imagination. At the feet of his 'mighty dad', Sporty Lou is taught the basics of soccer. He struggles and falters, but his little body holds a giant heart that won't back down from a challenge! Cheer along as Sporty Lou's imagination turns his backyard into a…
Best Multicultural Picture Books to Read
We highly recommend you to buy all paper or e-books in a legal way, for example, on Amazon. But sometimes it might be a need to dig deeper beyond the shiny book cover. Before making a purchase, you can visit resources like Genesis and download some multicultural picture books mentioned below at your own risk. Once again, we do not host any illegal or copyrighted files, but simply give our visitors a choice and hope they will make a wise decision.
Please note that this booklist is not final. Some books are really best-sellers according to Chicago Tribune, others are written by unknown writers. On top of that, you can always find additional tutorials and courses on Coursera, Udemy or edX, for example. Are there any other relevant resources you could recommend? Drop a comment if you have any feedback on the list.