Below I’ll give you my selections for the best Jazz Guitar books by a few categories. I will cover these and other great books more in depth later.
- 1. Jazz Guitar, Complete Edition (Book & CD) (2010)
- 2. Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts: Cutting Edge Jazz Guitar Techniques With Virtuoso Jens Larsen (Advanced Jazz Guitar) (2018)
- 3. Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery: A practical, musical guide to all guitar chord structures, voicings and inversions (play jazz guitar) (2019)
- 4. Mickey Baker’s Complete Course in Jazz Guitar: Book 1 (Ashley Publications) (1996)
- 5. Hal Leonard Guitar Method – Jazz Guitar: Hal Leonard Guitar Method Stylistic Supplement (2003)
- 6. Advanced Jazz Guitar Concepts: Modern Jazz Guitar Soloing with Triad Pairs, Quartal Arpeggios, Exotic Scales and More (2019)
- 7. Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar: An In depth Study of Major ii V I Soloing for Bebop Guitar (2019)
- 8. The Jazz Guitar Chord Compilation: Three Essential Jazz Chord Books in One (2015)
- 9. Martin Taylor Walking Bass For Jazz Guitar: Learn to Masterfully Combine Jazz Chords with Walking Basslines (2018)
- 10. Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar: Creative Concepts to Master the Language of Bebop Jazz-Blues Guitar (2018)
- Related YouTube Video
Anyone with a basic knowledge of guitar chords and scale fingerings can pick up this well-paced, comprehensive method and get started playing jazz right away. Beginning concepts include major scales, basic triad theory, extended chords, and modes. Intermediate topics include the ii-V-I progression, creating solo lines, altered chord formulas, and comping in different jazz feels such as Latin, swing, ballad, and funk. You will master the art of playing harmony, melody, rhythm, and bass parts of a song simultaneously, making your guitar the ultimate jazz solo instrument. This book concludes with advanced techniques for improvisation….
2. Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts: Cutting Edge Jazz Guitar Techniques With Virtuoso Jens Larsen (Advanced Jazz Guitar) (2018)
Master cutting edge modern jazz guitar techniques with Jens Larsen provides an in-depth insight into the modern jazz guitar techniques you’ll hear in the music of and others. In this book you’ll learn the essential building blocks of modern jazz guitar with numerous licks and detailed descriptions of the theory behind each concept.Popular YouTube teacher Jens Larsen teaches you how to apply triads, arpeggios and scales to create the sounds of contemporary jazz guitar. This creative method allows you to develop the knowledge you already have, using basic major and minor scales…
3. Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery: A practical, musical guide to all guitar chord structures, voicings and inversions (play jazz guitar) (2019)
Jazz Guitar Chord Voicings: Musically MasteredLearn and incorporate essential jazz guitar chord vocabulary into your playing quickly, easily and logically.Over 150 creative exercises with audioJazz Guitar Chord Mastery is a guitar chord method that easily develops your harmonic knowledge and fretboard skills, while helping you master and use advanced jazz chords, voicings and inversions.Daunted by jazz chords and comping?Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery begins by breaking down jazz harmony into four basic chord types: Maj7, m7, 7 and m7b5.How the…
A method in how to play jazz and hot guitar….
(Guitar Method). Featuring in-depth lessons and 40 great jazz classics, the Hal Leonard Jazz Guitar Method is your complete guide to learning jazz guitar. This book uses real jazz songs to teach you the basics of accompanying and improvising jazz guitar in the style of Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Tal Farlow, Charlie Christian, Jim Hall and many others. Lesson topics include: chords and progressions; scales and licks; comping and soloing styles; chord-melody; intros and endings; technique; equipment and sound; and more! Songs include: Satin Doll * Take the “A” Train * Billie’s Bounce * Impressions *…
6. Advanced Jazz Guitar Concepts: Modern Jazz Guitar Soloing with Triad Pairs, Quartal Arpeggios, Exotic Scales and More (2019)
Master advanced jazz guitar techniques with Jens Larsen In jazz guitar virtuoso Jens Larsen provides more deep insights into the techniques and theory of contemporary jazz guitar. You’ll discover a practical, no-nonsense guide to jazz guitar topics that have mystified even experienced jazz musicians – such as effective soloing with triad pairs, applying quartal harmony, how and when to use altered scales, and much more!Master the advanced guitar techniques and melodic concepts you’ve heard in the music of everyone from Charlie Parker and Wes Montgomery, to Kurt Rosenwinkel, Michael Brecker and…
7. Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar: An In depth Study of Major ii V I Soloing for Bebop Guitar (2019)
Stuck with Jazz Guitar and don’t know where to start?Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar is a step-by-step method that teaches you how to solo intricately over the most common progression in jazz: The Major ii V I (‘two five one’). A Complete Method to Combine Theory, Licks and Actual Playing into painless growth and Mastery of Jazz GuitarWe all know that Jazz Guitar Soloing can be hard to learn – and there is so much information out there that can lead you down paths you may not be ready for.Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar teaches you to solo on the…
Three of the Most Popular Jazz Guitar Chord Books on Amazon Together in One Volume This compilation of essential jazz guitar books includes: Over 250 Pages and 350 Notated Audio Examples Help You Master the Most Essential Concepts in Jazz Guitar With hours of audio to download for free from www.fundamental-changes.com, this compilation shows you how to construct, play and musically apply each jazz guitar chord structure. Bringing together three best-selling books on guitar chords, this compilation is a complete guide to jazz chord structures and voicings. Guitar Chords in Context is designed to give you an…
9. Martin Taylor Walking Bass For Jazz Guitar: Learn to Masterfully Combine Jazz Chords with Walking Basslines (2018)
Combine Walking Basslines and Jazz Guitar Chords, with Martin Taylor MBEWalking Bass for Jazz Guitar distils over 40 years of virtuosity and skill into one beautiful jazz guitar book. Learn from the internationally acclaimed master of jazz chord melody guitar as he teaches you, step-by-step, how to play walking basslines on guitar and combine them with rock solid rhythm guitar chords.As a special bonus, 2 specially commissioned online videos are included, with Martin Taylor illustrating the secrets of walking basslines on jazz guitar.Walking Bass…
10. Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar: Creative Concepts to Master the Language of Bebop Jazz-Blues Guitar (2018)
Play bebop jazz-blues guitar lines effortlessly with these simple substitution ideas helps you to create the authentic sound of jazz guitar, without having to learn numerous scales and modes. Based around the familiar blues progression, this book uses simple chord / scale substitution ideas to create beautiful jazz-blues lines in the style of the great jazz guitarists. If you’re familiar with the blues, but want to learn how to play great jazz lines, this book will quickly have you playing authentic bebop, simply by re-thinking the knowledge you…
Best Jazz Guitar Books that Should be on Your Bookshelf
We highly recommend you to buy all paper or e-books in a legal way, for example, on Amazon. But sometimes it might be a need to dig deeper beyond the shiny book cover. Before making a purchase, you can visit resources like Genesis and download some jazz guitar books mentioned below at your own risk. Once again, we do not host any illegal or copyrighted files, but simply give our visitors a choice and hope they will make a wise decision.
Joe Pass Jazz Guitar Solos
Author(s): Joe Pass
ID: 2274395, Publisher: , Year: 2018, Size: 2 Mb, Format: pdf
Guitar Chord Bible: over 500 illustrated chords for rock, blues, soul, country, jazz, & classical
Author(s): Capone, Phil
ID: 2666351, Publisher: CHARTWELL Books, Year: 2018, Size: 26 Mb, Format: pdf
Easy Jazz Guitar Chords
Author(s): Matt Warnock
ID: 1612425, Publisher: mattwarnockguitar, Year: 2017, Size: 2 Mb, Format: pdf
Please note that this booklist is not definite. Some books are absolutely chart-busters according to The New York Times, others are written by unknown authors. On top of that, you can always find additional tutorials and courses on Coursera, Udemy or edX, for example. Are there any other relevant links you could recommend? Leave a comment if you have any feedback on the list.